Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Sunday 3 March 2013

Life drawing - clay models

Hello everyone. How was your weekend? I went to a life drawing class yesterday. It was my second time. (the first time is here)  I relaxed and just enjoyed the session. I make small clay models, while my painter course-mates draw with charcoals. I started with something awkward, but progressed to more sensual and articulate pieces. Today, I picked the best six out of 9, and hollowed them out, except for the foot. I will do a reduction-firing on them again. I can't wait! (the previous models I made)

Clay models - life drawing

I asked the tutor for a male model for the next session. I have done two young female models, and would love to try male muscly body. My models are the parts of the body mainly because I was only able to see one side of the model, but also each pose is too short to make a whole body, so I focus on the parts I like.

Today, we did some reglazing of porcelain pots. Tomorrow we will fire them. I will have my presentation next Wednesday. I had already finished one draft, but I decided that I would change it a lot. So I must prepare for it this week. This time, which is my second one and the last one for this academic year, I will take all my finished pieces, about 25 pieces, with me, So I will have to think about packing, too.

Notice: Due to Royal Mail postage increase, all shipping fees in my Etsy shop will be increased from April. The last date for current shipping fees is the 28th March. 

6 comments:

  1. You are hollowing, how large are these difficult to determine from photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda. They fit in my small palm. I hollow everything thicker than 15 mm. We say in Japan 'there is no good heavy pot' although mine are not pots. ; ) I would love to make larger ones but there is no occasion in our course yet. 3-5 minutes posing is too short for larger than this size.

      Delete
  2. Hello Midori---I loved taking figure drawing classes! I never had the opportunity to sculpt with a live model, though. Just charcoal drawings. Much later I found clay and somehow my hands decided to figure draw in clay. Your clay models look good and its a wise thing to just concentrate on parts. Best wishes for your presentation.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Charlene. Thank you! The life drawing class is curiously relaxing even though I concentrate so much. (I wonder others feel similar.) I feel similar when I do Japanese calligraphy and ink drawing. I guess it has similar rhythm; the repetition of the burst of concentration and also a short breathing time.

      Delete
  3. I like these pieces. I saw huge pieces like these in Rome once around some of the ruins. There is something quite organic about them and it is maybe easier to appreciate the subtle form of our bodies in parts, than be distracted by the beauty of the whole. Minerva ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Minerva! I saw lots of large but not huge pieces in Italy, too. I agree with you on the point. I liked broken parts of a Greek goddess I saw in Paris. Because it was not complete, I felt the essence of the beauty became infinite.

      Delete