Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday 1 March 2013

Topaz the dog who ate Mike's lunch and Bizen pottery.

Hello everyone. I had a busy day today. After a busy morning with my work, I took a long lunch break, and went to the studio where I had some finishing to do before Monday. I had been there for a couple of hours. Once at home I had worked until five, then quickly had a dinner, and went to the art theory class. Phew. I 'm just back from it. I know I am lucky because I don't have long commuting time (working from home and about 15 to 20 minutes to the studio). I just wonder how other part time students cope with their busy lives.

Oh, there is one happy dog here. While Mike drove me to the studio at lunch time, Topaz the dog ate Mike's lunch that I prepared for him! A piece of brie, nice ham and artisan sour bread (rye and ordinary). She scoffed them down except for a slice of rye bread. (Ummm, interesting).  Poor Mike only had two choc chip cookies and coffee, instead. Topaz also stole some of Pearl's breakfast. No wonder Topaz didn't touch her dinner today.

'I stole everyone's food today.' 
  
My last pieces from reduction firing to show you here are these whippet and greyhound figures. The first one got a bit of celadon glaze around an eye from a neighbouring pot, so I ground the part, and re-fired it. I used ash glaze here and there.

 This one is more like greyhound-like. He has no glaze, still I think very attractive. I love the colour of reduction fired clay. It is similar to Japanese Bizen ceramics, which I love. Bizen is the old name for an area in Okayama prefecture. Bizen pottery is one of old Japanese pottery. When Mike and I visited the area, we bought a nice vase. My mother also has a Bizen vase. Bizen is often used for Ikebana and tea ceremony. If you visit Japan, I highly recommend to visit Bizen artists. Here is a bit of information about Bizen pottery.



10 comments:

  1. Oh I like the natural clay, it has a nice sheen to it. What a sweet dog you have, they are always keeping us entertained aren't they? Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda. We have two dogs. Topaz is naughty and Pearl is sweetie. But both become werewolf when they see a cat or a squirrel. : o We love them both, of course! : )

      Delete
  2. I love the surface sheen, colouring and the speckles of the clay showing through. We only have electric kilns at college but I would like to try reduction firing one day. Thank you for the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patricia. Oh, it' so nice to find another reduction fired clay lover! : ) One of the merits of our course is that I could use the gas kiln in the studio. I hope you get access to a gas kiln somewhere! : )

      Delete
  3. Hi there, just popping over from the wonderful Mrs Black's blog to have a mooch around. Your work is beautiful - the most I ever managed was a thumb pot and that was wonky! Now I'm not sure that Topaz did eat that lunch - how could such an innocent face do something so naughty? x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane. Thank you! Yes, she does look innocent, but don't be fool! Her mat had crumbs from Mike's lunch! lol

      Delete
  4. I love Topaz! He is a most handsome dog and that is a wonderful photograph of him. I love the caption, ha ha! I'm sure he enjoyed your lunch too. ; ~)

    Your greyhounds are wonderful! I love the shape and colour. Minerva ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Minerva. Handsome is a right word for Topaz, although she is female. Luckily I finished mine earlier, but she ate Pearl's breakfast, too! She didn't touch her food that night! : D

      Delete
  5. These are beautiful Midori How did I miss this post. Sneaky Topaz, that was a tasty treat lol
    Just got your message about the disappearing post ... Technical gadgets and I are not always in sync if it was me that accidentally somehow flubbed it up rest assured it was a mistake. I look forward to your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Willow. I noticed that another comment I left yesterday was also gone after that! I guess blogspot ate them! (or Topaz ate them!) I was admiring your beautiful ringneck and sweet Little chicken.They are so co-operative. Today I learned why! I enjoy visiting your blog. There are so many animals and your warmth comes through. : )

      Delete